Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Here I was thinking that last week's quiz was too difficult

Here I was thinking that last week's quiz was too difficult. Not the case, apparently, as few of you had problems spotting Powell and Pressburger's 1945 romcom, I Know Where I'm Going. As mentioned last week, it's a remarkable credit sequence that doubles as a bit of back-story on our heroine Joan Webster (Wendy Hiller). 
A quick plug: This Friday sees the start of the 2009 New York Asian Film Festival, and the Subway Cinema gang have truly outdone themselves this year. I've been trying to cram in as many titles as possible, and one of them, Sono Sion's Love Exposure is a must-not-miss. Don't let the four-hour running time frighten you -- there's not a dull minute in this complex psycho-drama that deals with religion, guilt, sin, voyeurism and, yes, love. At the moment it's the best undistributed film I've seen in 2009. I'll be writing about this film and (perhaps) others over at The Auteurs in the coming weeks.     
This week's quiz: definitely unfair. Or is it? Submit your answers to this address. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment